Tuesday, March 3, 2009

29.1 Miles Commute Today!

My goal was to ride 25 miles today. I put in 29.1 miles! Left home about 11:00 a.m., and got back just before 3:00. I had to take numerous breaks to rest my feet and stretch. It was raining pretty good the whole time I was out, so there was no dry place for me to sit down and rest my feet.

I rode the Dry Creek Trail two rounds trips, which is about 18 miles, and another 11 miles riding around town. I found a pretty steep hill near downtown which I never knew existed. Rode up the hill several times. I also rode the hill at the end of Dry Creek three times. I need to work on the hills more ....

Despite the rain, today's ride was good. I rode into a huge flock of what looked like robins, probably at least 50 of them. They seem to be attracted to the trees that are filled with blossoms. Saw dozens of mocking birds, some kind of blue bird (not blue jays), a few pigeons, small birds that seem to stay low in the branches of large bushes, ducks flying (maybe mallards?), and lots of squirrels everywhere.

Blossoms are all over many trees. Some flowers are already abounding. I think I even saw a dragonfly. The trail was pretty quiet today. Saw three or four joggers. One person with four or five dogs. Two stray dogs. Three or four cyclists. Looked like maybe four people were playing golf, even in the heavy rain.

I got pretty wet after about an hour. Had to change into a dry sweater, and wear my poncho. By the time I got home my shorts were dry though. I can really feel the miles in my knees! Had to use low gear on the middle ring often.

No comments:

Post a Comment